NaNoWriMo ~ Has Ended for 2010... What Day Is It? What Now?

.
.
Now that NaNoWriMo has ended for 2010 I'm not sure I know what day it is...

Firstly though, I'd like to say a special THANK YOU to those people who cheered me along in the month of November, only you know who you are!

Only a writer truly knows how hard it is to write an average of 1,667 words consistently for a whole month and only a fellow writer would truly care, so for that, I say THANK YOU to you who have helped me...

Now that Nano is over for a another year, it's time to focus on WRITING and some of what we have learned threw? (through) the process of NaNoWriMo. [Note to Self:  Nano has me forgetting the writing rules because that is the nature of the NaNoWriMo challenge; I shall work on my grammar and punctuation and spelling from this point on...]

One thing that became blatantly obvious to me was having a plan and sticking to it.

As you may already know I'm not much of a planner because I find it restrictive but through the Nano process this year I've realized if you really want to achieve something in particular you do indeed need a plan.

I had part of a plan.

Part of a plan is not a plan.

Well, it's not enough of a plan to get you where you want to go.

Where did I want to go?

Well, I wanted to write a fantasy novel. I set my Nano up so that I had thirty chapters of around four pages space to write hell for leather. I even had little prompts written under the chapter numbers for inspiration and you'd be surprised how apt they were throughout the process. Things like this:


Chapter One:
Start here… [replace this text with today’s 1,667 words] don’t think, just write!

Chapter Two:
Day two start here… [replace this text with your 2nd days 1,667 words]

Chapter Three:
C’mon, this is just the beginning! [replace this text with your 1,667 words]

Chapter Four:
Now you’re on your way… [place your 1,667 words here]


Chapter Five:
Keep going! [place your 1,667 words here]


Chapter Six:
Now, you’re getting it… [replace this text with your 1,667 words]

Chapter Seven:
And you thought this was supposed to be fun? Keep going! [place your 1,667 words here]

Chapter Eight:
Are we there yet? [Place your 1,667 words here]

Etc, etc, etc... (The King and I)

Stuff like that and it helped me keep writing throughout the month of November.

I've attempted Nano in years gone by and I must say this year was my best year as far as learning writing lessons and you get to learn a lot about yourself too. It's a great challenge.

Next post we shall look at the editing process...

Until then, C U.

Zak!



 





Post a Comment