Flash Fiction? Tell Me What Happened and Now!


.
 .

What is flash fiction?

Flash has many classifications depending on where you search for the definition.

Flash fiction is a short story told in few words as possible. It has a beginning, middle and an end. 

It should be short, sharp, preferably have a twist and leave the reader thinking.

Ernest Hemmingway was a master at this form long before it got its name. Just read his famous tale aptly named A veryshort story.

Personally, I didn’t enjoy this Hemmingway tale but it left its presence in my mind. It sits with me like an unanswered question.

Flash fiction often does that.
And this is what I believe good flash fiction does. The writer weaves you a story and it stays with you for whatever reason. It can be caused by subtle suggestions that create pictures in your mind or evoke feelings, good or bad.

Either way flash fiction done well can be a very compelling form of writing.

Warning!
Here’s a story I read back in 2006 called Once A Week by Jeff Cercone. It’s slightly longer flash fiction than most definitions would have it but the story still sits with me after all this time and if you read it too it may sit with you ...  

don't say I didn't warn you! 


Rated by Patchwork Project as NC-17 for disturbing imagery




Post a Comment